Even after reading the upgrading moodle doc from Moodle website it's still not that clear.
Recently updated a couple of Moodle websites. Here's what you need to do. Please read this as well as the instructions from Moodle website.
Plugins that you have installed yourself
- Make a list of them.
- Download the latest version for Moodle 3.9
- Make sure you know what type they are (e.g. block, module) know which directory they go into e.g. /blocks or /mod.
- If there are unused plugins it is better to remove them via administration before the upgrade.
Backup to do
- The database - export out.
- The entire website.
- The moodledata.
(I will skip the part where you should load up the old Moodle site to a test server and do a test upgrade.)
- Put the existing Moodle site into maintenance mode.
- Copy the existing config.php file. And place it somewhere safe.
- Download the new Moodle installation.
- Make sure you have backed up the database, Moodle website and the moodledata directory. Before performing the next step.
- Remove the old Moodle website from the server - delete all the files. DO NOT delete the database or moodledata.
- Upload the new Moodle installation to the server.
- Copy the old config.php to the server
- Copy the latest plugins that you prepared above to the correct directories on the server.
- In your web browser load up your Moodle website and follow the upgrade instructions.